Please note that I may earn a small commission from purchases made through product links in this article. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last updated: March 8, 2023
If you are looking to get started in hydroponics, it can be overwhelming to know where to start. So we have put together a list of the best indoor hydroponic systems for beginners to help you out.
Whether you are looking for a simple all-in-one kit to grow herbs or a more sophisticated system to grow large vegetables, we have included an option here for you.
As you get a better understanding of which hydroponic plants you want to grow, you can start to develop your system to suit what you need.
Top 5 Best Indoor Hydroponic Systems For Beginners
- AeroGarden Harvest-Black Indoor Hydroponic Garden
- iDOO Indoor Garden Hydroponics Growing System
- QYO Hydroponics Growing System, 12 Pods Indoor Herb Garden
- Gardyn 3.0 Next Generation of Hydroponics Growing System
- VIVOSUN 2-in-1 Mylar Reflective Grow Tent
1. AeroGarden Harvest Black Indoor Hydroponic Garden
If you are looking for an easy option to get you started, the AeroGarden is a great choice. It’s nice and compact, so you can easily put it on your desktop or kitchen bench at home.
It includes a gourmet seed kit with essential herbs and plants that you will use every day. It also has built-in grow lights so you don’t have to fork out extra money on this too.
You can grow up to six plants at a time, so you will get a good yield and variety of plants.
This hydroponic system has a super easy-to-use control panel.
It can remind you when to do all the important things like adding water and plant food. It can also automatically turn the LED grow lights on and off.
This is also one of the best hydroponic systems for herbs that you can find.
- INCLUDES GOURMET HERB SEED KIT (6-POD) - Genovese Basil, Curly Parsley, Dill,...
- ALWAYS HOMEGROWN: FRESH & SAFE - Up to 6 plants grow at a time, up to 12 tall...
- EASY TO USE (GROW) - control panel tells you when to add water, reminds you when...
2. iDOO Indoor Garden Hydroponics Growing System
This is one of the most inexpensive and best indoor hydroponic systems for beginners.
It is one of the best-selling indoor gardens on Amazon, with a high rating from the majority of users.
With 12 pods you are doubling down on the number of hydroponic plants you can grow.
The light has two grow modes that you can use, and it turns on/off automatically.
- The “Vegetables” mode increases the blue lights that work well for leafy plants.
- The “Flower&Fruits” mode increases the red lights which are better for fruit plants.
You can also adjust the height of the light as your plants grow. The water pump and fan also turn off and on automatically, with very little noise every 30mins.
With two different color choices, black or white, you can pick one in a colour that suits your kitchen.
- 20% Faster than Soil Planting: The integrated low noise pump of hydroponics...
- 4.5L Water Tank and Fan: Hydroponics growing system built-in a fan which spreads...
- Easy-Setup Germination Kit: 3 steps in all to set up the hydroponic growing...
3. QYO Hydroponics Growing System, 12 Pods Indoor Herb Garden
This kit is great for beginner growers, even for students working on school projects.
There is a huge LED grow light built-in, that uses the latest iFull Spectrum SMD LED, which simulates sunlight to give your plants the necessary sun to grow all year round.
This grow light helps plants develop 5 times faster than in conventional soil, by allowing them the right temperature to germinate even in winter.
This is one of the best hydroponic systems for lettuce and other leafy vegetables.
You can also adjust the height of the light as your plants grow.
The light has an automatic cycle of 16 hours on / 8 hours off, to replicate sunlight. This is great if you live in a small space or are keeping the garden in your bedroom.
- Upgrade Growing Light: Technology optimized for plants, Our 36W Herb Garden grow...
- Quiet Smart Water Circulation System: The advance Deep Flow Technique is...
- 1 Time Watering, 15 Days Growing: Experience up to 15 days self-sufficient...
4. Gardyn 3.0 Next Generation of Hydroponics Growing System
If you are looking for a hydroponic system that can grow a bigger crop, but still looks attractive in your kitchen, the Gardyn 3.0 may be the one for you.
This is one of the best indoor hydroponic systems for beginners who have outgrown their desktop garden, or are looking to grow larger plants.
This a vertical garden, which can grow up to 30 plants at a time indoors without taking up too much floor space.
The base is only 2ft x 1ft, so you can tuck it into a corner without it being intrusive. The built in LED grow lights with timer help provide enough sunlight even for dark rooms.
There are so many items that come with the kit, all you need to supply is power, wifi and occasionally refill the water tank.
The unit automatically waters the plants, you just need to fill up the tank at the bottom roughly every two weeks.
On top of all this, the kit comes with 30 seed kits to germinate and grow with a wide variety of vegetables, fruits and herbs to choose from.
For those of you who want a helping hand, you can sign up for the AI Assistant Kelby.
This is an app that links to cameras that use AI to track the growth of your plants and advise you if you need to change any settings to improve their growth.
If you’re a beginner this is like having a gardening assistant in the palm of your hand.
- NEW GARDYN 3.0 FEATURES: Next-generation hydroponic growing system technology...
- 30 PLANTS INCLUDED: Unlock access to incredible plant varieties from our unique...
- OPTIMIZED FOR GROWING INDOOR: Gardyn just needs power and wifi with a 2.4 GHz...
5. VIVOSUN 2-in-1 Mylar Reflective Grow Tent for Indoor Hydroponic Growing System
This hydroponic system is a big space investment, but it’s worth it if you are looking to grow larger vegetables. This is one of the best hydroponic systems for vegetables like tomatoes and bell peppers.
This system has two halves. One side has a large tall growing area, the other side has 2 levels to grow smaller plants.
The benefit is that you can use each room for each stage of growing your plants. One for propagation, one for vegetation, and one for the flowering stage.
Having all of these areas in one tent is still a space saver, compared to having seeds and plants spread out throughout your house.
You can also continuously grow plants at different stages, so you can have a never-ending yield.
The tent is made from a sturdy canvas with Mylar fabric inside, which is 98% light reflective.
Therefore this will help boost how efficiently your plants grow, as all of your light will be captured inside the tent.
- Reliable, Stable Grow Environment: Grow conditions outdoors are unstable and...
- Multi-Chamber Grow Tent: Features 2 small interior chambers and one large tent...
- Keeps All Light Inside: Made of high-quality 600D Oxford canvas that is lined...
Now you have an idea of how many great hydroponic systems are out there for beginners like you. You don’t have to be afraid to get growing! (Sorry for the pun).
We have also put together a selection of some of the best hydroponic plants and vegetables to grow to get you started.
There are plenty of great growing guides out there including our one on growing garlic.