Please note that I may earn a small commission from purchases made through product links in this article. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last updated: March 8, 2023
If you are looking for a more sustainable option for your plastic razors, a safety razor could be for you.
There are plenty of great safety razors for women on the market, even if you are a complete beginner.
Safety razors last forever, and are great for the environment, unlike plastic razors that you throw away after every use.
They may seem a little scary if you have never used them before. But as I explain below, there are plenty of benefits to making the switch to a safety razor.
- What is a Safety Razor?
- What Types of Safety Razors are Available for Women?
- Why are Safety Razors better for the environment?
- What to look for in a Safety Razor for Women?
- Choosing the Best Handle Length for Your Safety Razor
Top 5 Best Safety Razors for Women
- Bambaw Pink Double Edge Safety Razor for Women
- Weishi Elegant Rainbow Color Butterfly Double Edge Safety Razor
- Zomchi Double Edge Safety Razor for Women
- Edwin Jagger Double Edged Safety Razor
- Parker 99R Long Handle Heavyweight Butterfly Open Safety Razor
What is a Safety Razor?
A safety razor is a reusable manual razor that you can use on any part of your body.
Before the invention of plastic disposable razors, a safety razor was the most common type of razor that people could use to shave at home.
As the name suggests, a safety razor was invented because it was a lot easier and safer to use than a cut-throat razor.
A safety razor isn’t designed to be thrown away after a few uses, but you can replace the blades over time once they start to become dull.
Safety razors have been used by men for shaving their faces for decades. But now they are becoming more popular with women too for shaving their legs and the rest of their bodies.
What Types of Safety Razors are Available for Women?
There are plenty of amazing safety razors for women available on the market. There are two models of safety razors that are the most popular.
The main difference is how you remove and replace the razor blades.
One model is the traditional type, where you need to unscrew the whole head from the handle, and the head comes apart in two or three pieces.
The second type is a butterfly safety razor, which can be a little easier for beginners to use.
Instead of unscrewing the head, there is a little dial at the bottom of the handle.
When you twist the dial two flaps open up in the head of the razor, allowing you access to the blade.
On top of these models, there are various options you can choose from depending on how you like to shave.
You can choose the length of the handle, the finish, and color, and some models have an integrated comb in the head of the razor.
Why are Safety Razors Better for the Environment?
With proper use and care, safety razors can last for years, saving you plenty of money that you would have spent on plastic razors.
Safety razors for women are also a sustainable solution. This is because you only need to replace the blades and not the whole razor.
As a result, using a safety razor reduces the amount of waste and plastic that you send to landfill.
The blades are normally stainless steel and can be recycled (they just need to be stored and sealed in a metal container or tin for safety).
If you shave every day, a blade will last around a week and is a fraction of the cost of a new reusable razor head or a disposable razor if you buy it in bulk.
If used with the correct technique, safety razors can also give you a closer shave than a disposable razor, reducing the number of times that you need to come back for a shave!
What to Look for in a Safety Razor for Women
Selecting the best safety razor for you can seem daunting at first when there are so many options available.
But it really comes down to only two elements of the razor.
As I mentioned before, choosing between the two head types will come down to how confident you are in changing the blade, and how much effort you want to put into cleaning the razor.
A butterfly razor is easier to change blades, but harder to pull apart and clean properly.
Choosing the Best Handle Length for Your Safety Razor
Choosing a short or long handle can make a big difference to your technique and the quality of your shave.
A longer handle will give you less control, but it will also make the razor do more of the work.
Longer handle razors are generally heavier, meaning the head sits closer to your skin and you get a closer shave.
You can also select the type of grip on the handle, which will also help you maintain control when your hands are slippery with soap.
Top 5 Best Safety Razors for Women
1. Bambaw Pink Double Edge Safety Razor for Women
If you are looking for a really green option, this Bawbaw razor comes in a cute eco-friendly recycled cardboard box.
Also it’s a budget-friendly razor for beginners compared to others on this list.
It comes in a unique matt finish, with seven different colors to choose from.
Inside the box you will also find a handy guide on how to take care of your razor, and recycle your blades.
- THE PERFECT SHAVE: Make skin irritations and ingrown hair a problem of the past....
- DURABLE: Bambaw’s reusable razors for women are pretty much guaranteed to last...
- ECO-FRIENDLY: Disposable plastic razors are impossible to recycle, especially...
2. Weishi Elegant Rainbow Color Butterfly Double Edge Safety Razor
This Weishi razor has a super cute rainbow-colored finish, so there is no chance that your partner will confuse this with his own razor.
It’s not just a pretty face though, it has a smooth butterfly opening to make blades super easy to insert, and it’s a long-handle razor that will do the work for you.
The textured handle grip and the new design will also give you a better grip and balance when shaving tricky areas.
- Excellent grip feeling which fits in hands of all the persons and perfect weight...
- Twist the knob located at the bottom of the razor handle to open the blade...
- Because plating is hand made by craftsmen, color and texture may slightly change...
3. Zomchi Double Edge Safety Razor for Women
This Zomchi safety razor is a great option for women. It’s really light and easy to use.
The non-slip handle gives you plenty of grip.
As well as making it easier to shave, it’s simple to unscrew and clean or change blades.
Did I mention it also comes in 4 really cute colors, and a matching stand to show off in your bathroom?
The kit also comes with a pack of 5 razors to get you started. As one of the top-rated safety razors for women on Amazon, I had to include this one on my list.
- ღ【PACKAGE UPGRADED&5 YEARS GUARANTEE】You may receive products with old...
- ღ【STYLISH DOUBLE EDGE SAFET RAZOR】ZOMCHI double edge razor offers the...
- ღ【5 DOUBLE EDGE BLADES FOR SHAVING】ZOMCHI take customers' shopping...
4. Edwin Jagger Double Edged Safety Razor
At number 4 on our list, we have the Edwin Jagger Double Edged Safety Razor.
This razor comes in a stylish range of colors including rose gold, lavender, and 23-carat gold if you are feeling extra fancy.
This razor will give you a close and luxurious shave and comes with 5 razors for free.
- Unique design from the original designers of the DE8 Edwin Jagger Double Edge...
- Comfortable weight and balance for accurate, close shaving. This is an ideal...
- A genuine Edwin Jagger design Double Edge Safety Razor from an internationally...
5. Parker 99R Long Handle Heavyweight Butterfly Open Safety Razor
The Parker 99R is the top-recommended butterfly razor on the market, and is one of the best options for beginners.
If you are nervous about changing the blades, a butterfly razor may be a safer option for you, and this Parker razor has a twist-to-open design which is very easy to use.
It has a longer handle with a cool diagonal ribbed texture which is very comfortable to hold.
It can actually make it a little easier to reach tricky places like around your ankles.
- ELIMINATE RAZOR BURN and INGROWN HAIRS – Parker Safety Razors are designed to...
- HANDMADE with GENUINE BRASS - Every Parker Safety Razor is handmade with a...
- WORLD FAMOUS QUALITY ENGINEERING – Parker Safety Razor has been manufacturing...
There are plenty of other safety razors out there for women to use, but these are our best picks if you are just getting started.
If you are looking for a great shaving cream, we have compiled a bunch of beautiful organic shaving creams that you should try.
A good shave should be part of your regular self-care routine.
So take your time to select a great razor that will last a long time, take care of your skin, and will reduce your impact on the environment.